CAAAANE!

CAAAANE!
Animated GIF. William Shatner as Captain Kirk screaming CANE in place of KHAN.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

They're Happy Tears



As I've mentioned before on this blog, the song Grey Street by Dave Matthews Band is incredibly important to me. I think the description I put on the video is succinct enough to explain what this video is, then. I'd try to write more, but I'm tired and a bit overwhelmed from the unabashed sob I had after recording it.

Trying to play Grey Street for the first time in over a decade.

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2001, which left me hemiplegic for a while. After about a year I'd regained a lot of the use of and feeling in my left side, though not all by any stretch. I tried to play my guitar as a desperate form of self-inflicted physical therapy, since I'd previously been quite good, but I my hand had too little use for me to do what I wanted and I hid it away in my parents' house for over a decade.

Recently I decided to bring it home with me after visiting my folks, and tonight I decided to try playing Grey Street. It's one of the easiest songs that I could remember (though I had help of my old easy fake book), and for personal reasons is a very meaningful song for me.

What you see here... It's choppy. It's slow. It's awkward. It's hesitant. And it made me so happy I started crying about five minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment